Saturday, July 14, 2007

nurture


Spent last Wednesday evening watching a DVD of Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth”. There was comparatively little in the film/documentary that I wasn’t already aware of, but I still found it completely compelling viewing. It made me think about what kind of world our grandchildren will inherit from us. Then, strangely, I found myself watching “Who Do You Think You Are?” on BBC1 immediately afterwards (even stranger because I seem to watch very little tv these days). Tracing back Nicky Campbell’s adopted family history some 150 years in Australia, via Scotland, seemed to somehow help put the Al Gore DVD into context and emphasise the massive changes the world has witnessed since the mid-1850s. In turn, thoughts of Nicky Campbell’s adopted family put me in mind of our own adopted grandson Mikey. Campbell emerged at the end of the tv programme saying what a huge part nurture (within his adopted family) had played in his life; and I reflected on the vital importance of nurture within Mikey’s life with Alice+Dave as his adopted parents.
It then dawned on me, of course, that nurture (this time, of our planet) was also at the heart of the Al Gore film too.

No comments: