Thursday, January 18, 2007

foundation


I liked Ellen Louden’s recent post on Foundation’s website (‘Rhythms of Life: a reading’) quoting from Iain McColl’s words about farmer and writer Wendell Berry’s work and, in particular, when he talked about “a rhythm of life which does not pillage the earth but which recognises that there are ‘no unsacred places; there are only sacred places and desecrated places’”.
It reminded me of John Bell's words on the guardianship of creation in his book ‘Hard Words for Interesting Times’:
“It is the amount of energy I choose to use; it is the demand for unseasonal vegetables that I choose to make; it is the number of journeys by private transport that I believe is right; it is the mountain of waste I decide not to recycle; it is the investments in environmentally hostile firms I want to profit from. And for Christians, it is the distance I want to put between the will of God and my lifestyle…. All of this ultimately affects the state of the planet and the consciences of those with whom I engage”.
Photo: “Prayer Tree” at Greenbelt 2005 by Si Smith and friends.

2 comments:

Ellen Loudon said...

Glad you liked it. The services have been great lately. You'd love them!

bigdaddystevieB said...

Am certainly intending to get along either next week or the week after. Look forward to meeting up then. Thanks.