Wednesday, March 03, 2010

the great offices of state


If Si Smith is my wonderful music and art guru, then my great car-share/teacher mate Andy is my television programme advisor. I really don’t watch much TV these days but Andy has recently been imploring me to watch “The Great Offices of State” on the BBC. It’s a three-part series presented by Michael Cockerell and “uncovers the secret world of Whitehall” (within the Treasury, Home and Foreign Offices). I’ve now watched them all on iPlayer and they’ve been absolutely fascinating (Professor Peter Hennessey is excellent) – with (pretty frank) interviews with past and present politicians and “normally camera-shy” civil servants. The programmes should be made compulsory viewing for all students of modern History and Politics.
Brilliant!
Photo: The Foreign Office, London.

No comments: