Sunday, March 21, 2010

bomb disposal probably isn't for me


I listened to a powerful, humbling interview yesterday on Radio4’s “Saturday Live” when Chris Hunter talked about his former life as a bomb disposal operator (you can listen to it on iPlayer, albeit briefly). Amazing to hear him talk about his role almost acting as a “form of atonement” and also about its “spiritual” side, but also sad to hear about the effect his job had on his personal life. I just can’t imagine what makes people opt for such a hugely challenging and dangerous role (and it’s terribly sad that they need to do so at all).
Co-incidentally, I recently came across this very funny T-shirt slogan: “if at first you don’t succeed, then bomb disposal probably isn’t for you”.
So true!

1 comment:

just Gai said...

Why pay for the Radio Times when we can read your blog for free! First Eddie Izzard's marathon documentary and now Saturday Live.

I was also interested to hear Anthony Horowitz's thoughts on CRB checks in schools. I think he's so right to fear for the future of relationships where children are being brought up to mistrust any adult who cannot produce a CRB clearance.