Sunday, February 07, 2010

sex+drugs+rock+roll+rugby+folkhouse


We crammed an awful lot into yesterday!
At the start of the afternoon, Gareth, Moira+I went to the Watershed to see “Sex+Drugs+Rock+Roll” – a portrayal of Ian Dury’s rise to fame in the 1970s with the Blockheads and featuring the incredibly impressive Andy Serkis in the title role. As you might have expected, the film was a powerful mixture of aggression, anger, ego, tenderness and wit. I couldn’t honestly say that I really enjoyed it. I like this description of Ian Dury by Philip French in The Observer: “He is a man ready to sacrifice anything in order to be the master of his fate, the captain of his soul” and this is certainly what the film emphasises.
I rushed out of the cinema to join Felix in the near-by Mackenzies Bar to watch the England v Wales rugby (Gareth+Moira decided to return home!). Sound performance and a deserved 30-17 victory – despite them almost letting Wales back into the game with only 10 minutes left.
Fee+I were then joined by Hannah+Moira and we went to a concert at the Folk House on Park Street (part of my birthday present from H+F) – featuring Daisy Chapman, John E Vistic and Stanton Delaplane (all excellent). I’d never been to the Folk House and was really impressed. A lovely evening and a great way to end a hectic day!
PS: I ended up buying one of Daisy Chapman’s CDs and, as soon as I got home, duly removed the cellophane wrapping – only to discover that there was NOTHING inside!! I’ve sent her a message on MySpace, so I hope they’ll rectify the error quickly!

No comments: