Sunday, March 23, 2008

easter


Like good friend Gareth, I’ve also been watching “The Passion” on BBC tv. Like her, I’ve been a little disappointed so far (the final episode is this evening). She refers in her recent blog to other versions of the Easter story: I too was very impressed by the BBC’s “Manchester Passion” but have still to see Scorcese’s “Last Temptation of Christ”. However, I did watch Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” again on Good Friday. Powerful, brutal film and the all the better for the lack of American and English (or Irish, if you’ve seen the BBC’s latest version!) accents - authentic Aramaic and Latin employed. I know it’s been heavily criticised in the past (accusations of anti-Semitism; excessive use of violence etc), but I still found it an impressive, if rather bloody, reminder of the Easter story.

No comments: