Friday, June 08, 2007

people’s music


I’ve been irritating family+friends alike recently (what’s new?)! This followed a conversation I’d had on the back of such things as “Desert Island Discs” (8 favourite records for your desert island) and Fi Glover’s “Inheritance Tracks” on Radio 4 (where people select a piece of music from their childhood and another they’d like to pass on to their children – or something like that!).
I thought it would be “interesting” to receive feedback from friends/family suggesting two pieces of music on the following basis:
“if I had to choose just ONE piece of music, this would be it” (it might be just a great piece of music or something that has special significance), and
“Steve, I think you’d like this piece of music” (or "Steve, I think you should listen to this”)
I duly e-mailed lots of people and the responses received to date have been fascinating and, from a purely selfish viewpoint, could well open my eyes/ears to new musical horizons (eg. “Beat Bop” by Rammellzee and K-Rob; “Where are you Tonight?” by June Tabor; “Coulibaly” by Amadou+Miriam; “Thunder on the Mountain” by Bob Dylan) plus well-known classics (eg. “A Change is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke; “Kathy’s Song” by Simon+Garfunkel).
PS: my selections (and I realise that everyone’s selection will vary on a day-to-day basis): perhaps 1. “Love Letter” by Nick Cave and 2. “Early Morning Ramblings” by Beth Rowley?
Photo: Nick Cave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

impossible really...but to log something...for today only...how about 1. 'all i want is you' by u2 (guitar work by 'the edge' 4 minutes in is fantastic) 2.'how we operate' by gomez (from their album last year of the same name. they made great albums in '98 'bring it on' and '99 'liquid skin'...then lost their way a little).

bigdaddystevieB said...

Yes, absolutely impossible! How can I NOT have Joni Mitchell (or Van the Man? or Nick Drake? or Billy Bragg? or Dylan? or Radiohead? or The Beatles?). Have spent 79p downloading the Gomez track and have been mightily impressed. The man has taste!