Wednesday, September 13, 2023

lockdown revisited…

It happens quite frequently for me… scouring the house looking for something (which, inevitably, I can’t locate) and then coming across something I hadn’t looked at for some time. It happened again this week and I found myself reading through my two ‘Blurb’ books covering a year of the pandemic.
At the start of Covid, in March 2020, I was conscious that the pandemic (as it became) was likely to have a dramatic effect on our daily lives… and decided to begin compiling a book-cum-diary-cum-photograph album of reflections and images. I decided that I would do this over a six-month period… Surely, by then, the perceived dangers would have passed? But, of course, it hadn’t and so I continued to record my experiences for a further six months – until March 2021.
In the event, having ‘re-discovered’ my two books (“Love in the Time of Covid 19” and “The Winter’s Tale”), I found myself flicking through the pages… and coming across reminders and a flavour of what those days were like.
I found the whole experience quite poignant and sobering.
It’s only some two-and-a-half since the start of the pandemic (or at least since it started to affect us in the UK) and yet it made me realise how many of those ‘little details’ I’d already almost forgotten.
It made me realise that in, say 10 years’ time, our recollections of a time that had such a devastating effect on so many lives, will be even ‘fuzzier’. Will our grandchildren still be able to recall the effects the pandemic had on their school lives? Will we remember those awful ‘no hugging’ days of isolation? The closed pubs, cafés and restaurants? The early morning walks? Those wonderful sun-filled March days of 2020? The need for ‘social distancing’? The pre-vaccine days and the post-vaccine days? All the government lies (I assume that all the various Inquiries will have reported by that time!!?)? All those lives lost?
Only time will tell.


No comments: