Friday, September 29, 2023

cricket #1: membership fees…

Today is the last day of the English cricket season…
As I’m sure you will appreciate, if you’ve ever read any of my previous blogs on cricket(!), it seems that I remain one of the few cricket lovers who would still much prefer to watch a 4-day County Championship game in preference to all the Twenty20 Vitality Blast and One-Day Cup matches.
Although, for various reasons, I only attended two days of Gloucestershire five home games in Bristol this season, I continue to feel frustrated by the club’s stance when it comes to membership/season tickets (I assume it’s the same for most of the clubs).
Full Gloucestershire CC membership for this season was some £256 (which provided entry to all home County Championship, Vitality Blast matches, One-Day Cup matches and Cheltenham Cricket Festival games)… and there was a separate One-Day membership for £133 (Vitality Blast and One-Day Cup games).
I would be happy to sign up for membership if only they had a ‘County Championship only’ category (which on a basis of £256 minus £133 could be available for say £123)… BUT there isn’t one!
I’ve previously written to the Club committee, but they tell me they had previously considered the matter, but decided against it.
On the two occasions I attended this season in Bristol, the ticket price was £21. I would estimate the number of spectators at the two games I attended this season to be say 250 (ridiculous!). The vast majority of these will have been members. In the circumstances, it seems to me that the club should be doing EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to attract bigger crowds and allow people like me to attend regularly at a reasonable price.
In your dreams, Steve… in your dreams!
There are 7 four-day home County Championship games (5 in Bristol, 2 in Cheltenham). Let’s say that I would attend two days of each of the Bristol games (allowing for rain and my own incredibly hectic schedule!) - on the basis of a daily £21 ticket, that’s 5x2x£21 =£210. Sadly, I wouldn’t be prepared to pay such a sum… BUT allow me to purchase a ‘County Championship only’ membership for say £120, and I would happily do so (and the club would also benefit from the resulting increased beer+pasty sales!). The more spectators they can attract, the more beer and food revenue they will accrue… the better the atmosphere in the ground etc.
It’s seems an absolute no-brainer to me… but what do I know?
PS: Most cricket-lovers would agree that the County Championship provides an important basis for developing young talent for the England Test team. From a county’s perspective, however, it’s entirely understandable that the Vitality Blast and One-Day Cup matches are the ones that attract the crowds… and the revenue. As a result, the County Championship fixtures are largely relegated to the months of April, May and September. If that’s the case, to my mind, they should be doing everything possible (ie. financially) to attract spectators to this less desirable time of the year. 
I’m well aware that vast majority of these spectators will be old codgers like me… but don’t knock it! There’s something rather wonderfully therapeutic about us oldies gathering under our several layers of clothing, sipping our beers, watching the cricket and remembering the ‘olden’ days.
Are they afraid that membership income will be reduced due to Oldies like me opting for the ‘county championship games only’? 

No comments: