Friday, November 11, 2022

maggie o’farrell at st mary redcliffe…

Moira, Ru and I went along to St Mary Redcliffe Church tonight to hear Maggie O’Farrell talk about her work – and, in particular, her latest novel “The Marriage Portrait”. The book imagines the story of Lucrezia, daughter of Cosimo de’ Medici, who married Alfonso d’Este, the Duke of Ferrara in 1558… but, a year after entering her husband’s court in 1560, aged just 16, she died. The novel was inspired by Robert Browning’s poem “My Last Duchess” which describes a painting portraying the young woman who actually lived. I’ve yet to read the book for myself (Moira’s just about to finish our copy) but, in it, Maggie O’Farrell imagines 16th-century Italian courtly life and the brief days of a girl forced into marriage at a very young age.
O’Farrell is a wonderful, natural speaker and communicator – eloquent, beguiling, amusing and informative. I’m a great fan of her writing and “The Marriage Portrait” will be the fifth book of hers that I’ve read (I think). I’ve loved all the books of hers that I’ve read, but “Hamnet” was very, very special.
The evening – which was organised by our wonderful local Storysmith bookshop - was a great success… and all the more so for us because, when Moira mentioned the difficulty she has in hearing what’s said at such events to Storysmith’s Dan and Emily, they set aside three seats in the front row for us! How special was that!?
Great event. Wonderful speaker.
Photo: the view from our front row seats. 

No comments: