Thursday, December 31, 2020

new year reflections: december 2020...

I’ve been scribbling New Year reflections on my blog for a number of years now (as always – just a reminder for ME… because I forget stuff so easily!) but, this year has obviously been like no other. Most of us spend our lives – at least to some extent – planning and anticipating events, but this year has made such things impossible. Planning and anticipation has been replaced by worldwide uncertainty (and, for some, tragedy, suffering and fear).
Little did we know, twelve months ago, that 2020 would bring a devastating global pandemic which, for us in the UK, would see more than 70,000 deaths and some 2.3million cases of Covid-19. It was almost unimaginable.
It certainly put everything into perspective… even if it didn’t stop me being massively depressed and frustrated about UK politics, about Brexit, about our response to the Climate Crisis, about greed, about the Haves and the Have-nots, about mental health etc etc. One of the few positives of 2020 (although some might not agree) was that Trump was voted out of office… and the relief felt by SO many people around the world was tangible.
So, for the time being at least, I’m setting aside such matters and concentrating on ‘other stuff’:    
FAMILY AND SIMPLE PLEASURES:
In years gone by, in my annual résumé, I’ve underlined just how important cafés, reading, drawing, photography, walking, cinema and, of course, our grandchildren are VERY important aspects of my life - it’s SO lovely seeing our grandchildren develop in their individual, unique ways (and they ALL make me laugh!!). It goes without saying that our daughters (and their husbands!) are quite, quite brilliant too!
Depressingly, we haven’t been up to Lancashire (or actually seen) Dave, Mikey, Dan+Jemima all year (Alice came down for a very brief ‘working’ visit back in the summer). Fortunately, we have been able to ‘meet up’ with Ruth, Stu, Iris+Rosa and Hannah, Fee+Ursa from time to time (albeit socially-distanced). Depressingly, like so many others around the country, we haven’t been able to hug our family and friends since March (not to be able to hug one’s grandchildren has been especially tough).
Sadly, this year, visits to the café, the cinema and the like also haven’t happened… and I miss such things terribly.
However, I still draw, take photographs and walk virtually every day… and ‘lockdown’ (and being designated as a ‘medically vulnerable’ person!) has resulted in me developing some new routines – daily dawn walks around the harbourside, for example – which I have absolutely loved. Noticing small changes through the seasons… adjusting to the rhythm of a new week/month/season. I ‘created’ a Blurb book (mainly photographs, plus a few sketches and the odd note) of the first six months of ‘lockdown’ (March-September 2020) and have now decided to put together another one from September 2020-March 2021).
I did some pretty basic ‘investigation’ into Moira’s mother’s family history (interesting, but it didn’t reveal she was related to Robert the Bruce or somesuch!).
Moira and I also took the opportunity (via DNAHeritage) to check on our own family ‘roots’. Investigations revealed the following results:
Moira (far more interesting than me): 63.5% Irish, Scottish, Welsh; 18.9% Iberian; 8.5% Scandinavian; 4.7% English; 4.4% Finnish…
Me: English 86.4%; Scandinavian 10.5%; North+Western European 2.1%; Middle Eastern 1.0% (clearly, looking at these results, it’s JUST possible that a) I’m related to Father Christmas or b) Jesus might have been a distant relative…or maybe even both?)!
FRIENDS:
Well, sadly, we’ve met up with very few friends outside Bristol this year (and, indeed, very few even in Bristol)… but we’re very thankful for the technology that has enabled us to continued to stay ‘in touch’ with friends via zoom and social media. I’m pretty hopeless at staying in touch with people by phone (I REALLY don’t like phonecalls!) but, in acknowledgement of the strange situation we found ourselves in, I decided to arrange zoom ‘meet ups’ with old friends (usually one per week) as the next best thing to meeting up over a pint or glass of wine in a bar or pub… and I’ve been doing that since the start of October and it’s been really rather lovely to catch up.
WONDERFUL BOOKS:
You would have thought that a ‘lockdown’ year such as 2020 would have resulted in me reading far more books than usual. Strangely, this didn’t happen. Yes, I’ve continued to read LOTS of books, but rather fewer than last year (74 compared with 94 last year). Some of this has perhaps been due to my changed routines in ‘lockdown’ (eg. I’ve been walking at dawn rather than reading in bed!).
The Storysmith Book Group (run by our lovely local bookshop) has continued to be brilliant - interesting books, lovely people and good fun too (albeit that we’ve had ‘meet’ via zoom)(who knew that technology would become so vitally important in the pandemic!)… and I’ve also been part of the ‘Blokes Books’ bookgroup linked to my local church and involving some great mates (we don’t choose religious books for our zoom get-togethers!). In lockdown, I found myself frequently resorting to books I’ve previously read – probably in the knowledge that they would represent safe, comforting reading options!  As always, I’ve tried to limit the number of highlighted books to ten… and, as always, I’ve failed miserably! Here are 14 of my favourites (in no particular order): 
The Outrun (Amy Liptrot); Black+British (David Olusoga); The Wild Silence (Raynor Winn); Lowborn (Kerry Hudson); The Body (Bill Bryson); The Thursday Murder Club (Richard Osman); All The Light We Cannot See (Anthony Doerr); Girl, Woman, Other (Bernardine Evaristo); A Walk In The Woods (Bill Bryson); Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury); Rebecca (Daphne Du Maurier); Lockdown (Peter May); Trieste+The Meaning Of Nowhere (Jan Morris); and Waiting For The Last Bus (Richard Holloway).
GREAT FILMS:
As you might imagine, Covid-19 drastically curtailed the number of times (just 7) I went to the cinema this year (my last cinema visit was 11 March). In the circumstances, it seems pointless to list my favourites (but I thought Jojo Rabbit was excellent).
But, in order to compensate for going to the Watershed regularly (and I DID really miss it!), I ended up re-watching most of our old DVDs (it was lovely to be reminded of some really wonderful films) and also lots of films via BBC iPlayer (getting on for 50 of them?!) – which, in the past, I hadn’t bothered to utilise.
LOVELY LIVE PERFORMANCES:
It’s been SO sad not to have been able to go to the theatre, concerts and see exhibitions this year. We’ve really missed it. Here are the few that we did get to experience (depressingly few):

THEATRE:
Romantics Anonymous (Bristol Old Vic).
But we’ve also enjoyed streamed performances (via Bristol Old Vic)… Wise Children; The Grinning Man; Christmas Carol; and Swallows and Amazons.
CONCERTS:
O’Hooley+Tidow (St George’s).
EXHIBITIONS:
Refuge+Renewal: Migration+British Art (RWA); Rembrandt (Ashmolean, Oxford).
SPORTING MOMENTS:
I enjoyed continuing to be a season ticket holder for the Bristol Bears (rugby) – and they did really well this year – finishing third in the Premiership in the 2019/20 season and winning the European Challenge Cup. Obviously Covid-19 greatly restricted the number of games open to spectators from the end of February onwards. In the light of the pandemic, I haven’t renewed my season ticket for the current season – which only started in November (although they had given season ticket-holders access to ‘live streams’, I wasn’t able to take advantage – my phone doesn’t  ‘do’ internet and my laptop doesn’t do Windows10… yes, I know, I’m an old fogey!!).
I didn’t get to see a single football game (frankly, although I continue to follow my beloved Aston Villa, I’m afraid that my love of football has waned and I’m really no longer that interested).
I had been really looking forward to watching a fair amount County cricket this year – especially with now having Somerset and Gloucestershire both in Division One – but, it wasn’t to be… thanks to the coronavirus. I DID manage to get to see a couple of Bedminster CC games (just a 20 minute walk from home) – which was lovely, but definitely didn’t compensate for the ‘real thing’!
Watching sport on TV (when that’s possible) in stadiums completely devoid of spectators seems futile to me.
ART STUFF:
Despite the coronavirus, it’s been another enjoyable, busy year, including:
1. I’ve still very much enjoyed continuing to post a drawing or photograph every day as part of my “One Day Like This” blog (well over 3,000 consecutive days - more than 1,500 drawings and 1,500 photographs - since I started in September 2012, more than 8 years ago). Circumstances have limited the number of times I’ve able to draw ‘on location’, but ‘being adaptable’ has seemed to be the key requirement this year and it’s been fine.
2. The brilliant Drawing Group I joined in 2017 – organised by the lovely, talented artists Charlotte and Alice Pain – continues to bring me pleasure. We used to meet for two hours most Tuesdays in a variety of locations in and around Bristol but, due to the virus, we’ve been limited to sharing our drawings online (good, but not the same… and I definitely miss seeing everyone.
3. Sadly, for the second year running, there was no ‘live’ Arts Trail this year (we’d previously participated for 15 consecutive years). There was an ‘online’ version but, as I wasn’t trying to sell anything, I didn’t think this was appropriate for me. Fingers crossed for next year.   
4. One Week 100 Faces: I participated in this scheme again and duly produced my 100 faces in a week (mixed bag as far as quality was concerned!).
5. Urban Sketchers, Bristol: I’ve continued to really enjoy this wonderful group (which I joined in March 2018)… it’s a worldwide organisation and, here in Bristol, in ‘normal times’, we’d meet up every month and regularly get more than 20 people coming along. This year has proved difficult(!), but we’ve adapted wonderfully well (again, thanks to technology)… and have been ‘meeting’ together in various locations around the world (I know!)… Spain, Portugal, Greece, Columbia, France, Wales and England (to mention just a few) sketching from via Google Streetview and (at the same time) chatting via zoom! It’s been hugely enjoyable and great for people to have been able to keep in touch in these difficult times. It’s very, very enjoyable: we compare notes (and sketchbooks!) and share ideas. I’ve made some lovely new friends and have been ‘roped in’ to be one of the admin people (alongside Jules and Jane) who help run the group. It’s become a real highlight and joy.
6. Blurb book (‘Love in the Time of Covid-19’): I put together a self-published book of photographs (plus a few sketches) covering the first six months of the pandemic.
SOMETHING YET TO BE CREATED:
1. Another Blurb book: I decided to follow up my ‘Love in the Time of Covid-19’ Blurb book with a second volume (‘The Winter’s Tale’) covering the subsequent six months ie. up to March 2021. It’ll be interesting observing the seasonal changes… and, I suspect, it might contain a little more text/comments?
2. There are lots of things I’ve missed due to the pandemic, but I realise that I have sorely missed sketching people (albeit quite badly!)… I would regularly sketch over my lunch at the Watershed before going to watch an afternoon film. I very much hope that I’ll be able to do this again in 2021.
3. I think I’d like to read more about some 19th and early 20th century British artists/illustrators (eg. Arthur Ransome; Dod Procter; Aubrey Beardsley; Gerald Leslie Brockhurst; Meredith Frampton; James Cowie and Winifred Knights perhaps?).
4. I want to become a little more ‘experimental’ in my sketching/watercolouring… we’ll see!
5. I’ve loved watching Sky Art’s ‘Portrait Artist of the Year’ and have occasionally followed its ‘Portrait Artist of the Week’ follow-up programme – which provides opportunities to sketch its guest sitter. Maybe I’ll try this more frequently?
HOLIDAYS/LEISURE: 
No holidays at all this year – although we did spend a week on the other side of Bristol (I know!), house- and cat-sitting at Hannah+Fee’s - which was actually very lovely… and a chance to re-visit parts of Bristol we don’t very often get to.

SPIRITUAL LIFE:
We continue to be part of the lovely Community of Saint Stephens, in the heart of the city, and it really does feel like our ‘spiritual home’. A stimulating, reflective community and I love the intimacy and informality of its services and that we can actively contribute to discussions. There are some very special people there and we’re incredibly fortunate to be led by Lee Barnes. This year we’ve been alternating services with our sister church community at Holy Trinity Hotwells and I have to admit to struggling somewhat (the style of service is a little different - less intimate; a little more conventional)… but that’s probably just me. Obviously during the course of 2020, we’ve had to ‘stream’ our services (thank goodness for technology!) – successfully, albeit with a different ‘end product’ (I have to admit that I’ve found streamed church a bit of a ‘turn-off’ personally). My own faith-life journey has felt pretty bleak at times this year (I have lots of ‘wilderness days’!). Seven of us used to ‘meet up’ most Wednesday mornings at 8am at the Society Café on the harbourside (but now via zoom) for “Bloke’s Prayer”… and it’s something which has proved to be hugely rewarding. Regular Tuesday night ‘Resonate’ meetings have also proved interesting. Up until September, I’ve also been ‘chairing’ Saint Stephen’s Re-Ordering Group over the past couple of years – stimulating AND frustrating!
HEALTH:
My health has been pretty good this year… apart from the normal ageing process (although my annual lungs/heart check didn’t actually happen because of the pandemic – I’m due to have another appointment in say March 2021). I’ve been troubled with on-going heel and ankle ulcer issues more or less throughout the year – which are a little debilitating, but manageable. My teeth continue to fall out; my back feels ‘delicate’ most mornings when I first wake (but settles down); my hearing is deteriorating (I have hearing aids, but don’t use them!); I take tablets for my atrial fibrillation; I take eye drops to deter my glaucoma; and I’m pretty sure that my left hip will need replacing over the next year or so!! Strangely (and perhaps significantly?), I feel I’ve become something of an old man this year… but, hey, I feel pretty fit, I’m very active and I continue to walk on a daily basis.
OTHER STUFF:
1. For me, this has been a year of ‘giving up things’… That sounds very negative, I know, but actually it’s felt something of a relief. In September, I stepped down from serving on the PCC of Saint Stephen’s church… and, although I continue to be part of the group of people looking into the practicalities of re-ordering the Grade I Listed Building, I’m no longer chairing it. 
2. I also stepped down from serving as a volunteer with the wonderful B.Friend organisation in May (I’d served my agreed 12 months plus stint… but it also coincided with my own need for self-isolation etc due to Covid-19). Rewarding and humbling work nevertheless.
3. I also ceased volunteering at the YMCA/The Wing (for which I’d done most Thursday evenings for the past couple of years) – helping to prepare food (but mostly washing up!) for some of young people staying there… again, my stepping down coincided with my own limited movements due to Covid-19.
4. We continue to be a no-car household… and use a local car club very occasionally, as we see the ‘need’ (but only three times this year, I think!).

I love reflecting back on the things that have happened over the previous twelve months and, each year, it’s a reminder that there WILL be some very special things that they will happen in the coming year (setting aside pandemics!) – even though, at this moment, I don’t know what the coming year will bring. Clearly, I’m also aware that there will inevitably be some sad stuff too… and perhaps challenges we feel ill-equipped to face. In such times, families and friendships will, once again, see us through.   
For us as a family, it’s been another good year (by and large)… and we continue to count our blessings.
I wish you (and all yours) a very happy, healthy and peaceful 2021… and perhaps a return to some kind of normality would be a huge bonus!
Photo: At Christmas, we usually put together a compilation of photographs of our six grandchildren, taken over the course of the year. This year has obviously been rather different. We haven’t seen Mikey, Dan and Jemima at all during 2020 (other than via zoom)… and our times with Ursa, Rosa and Iris have also been hugely limited. We’ve missed watching them grow, blossom and laugh! xx


No comments: