Wednesday, December 30, 2020

december 2020 books…


It turns out that I’ve read 74 books this year… 20 less than last year, strangely. I think the difference is all down to having developed different routines (eg. dawn walking, when I would normally be reading in bed!)?
Love And Other Thought Experiments (Sophie Ward): This is an extraordinary, highly intelligent, thought-provoking, philosophical novel. Despite the fact that I tend to struggle with philosophical concepts, I found this a thoroughly intriguing (and very enjoyable) book, which left me thinking long after I finished it. It reminded me somewhat of the ‘end sequence’ of one of my favourite films, ‘2001 – A Space Odyssey’ (which I’ve watched several times)… which I’ve seen described as a ‘journey into the vortex’. I well remember the first time I saw the 1968 film and wondering what on earth it all meant. The book contains a sequence of interlinked stories (ranging across time and place)… and starts with two characters, Rachel and Eliza, who are planning their future together. One night in bed, Rachel wakes up terrified and tells Eliza that an ant has crawled into her eye and is stuck there… and, so the tale evolves!
Light Of The World (Peter Millar+Neil Paynter): I’ve previously used this book of daily Advent readings (from Iona Community members, published 2009) perhaps three times as part of my ‘preparation’ for Christmas. Despite the fact that I’ve been struggling somewhat on my spiritual journey, I again found the insights both stimulating and helpful - in a year that has brought fresh challenges for our troubled world.
The Wind In The Willows (Kenneth Grahame): Yes, I know it seems a little ridiculous for me – in my seventies - to be reading Grahame’s wonderful children’s story (first published in 1908) once again! Actually, I recently watched an excellent television interview with John Le Carré (with Mark Lawson) in which he mentioned that ‘Wind in the Willows’ was one of his favourite books… and, in these troubled times, I rather thought it would be something of light relief… and so it proved! You’re no doubt well aware of the adventures of Rat, Mole, Badger and Toad… and I enjoyed the celebration of friendship, kindness (making due allowance for Toad) and the beauty of nature (“O my! O my! O my”… as Mole put it). Grahame originally told the stories to his son and was apparently only persuaded to get them published by a friend (I wondered how old his son had been at that time – because the language frequently appears quite sophisticated for a child?)… and, crucially, I still want to know why Toad wasn’t punished for breaking out of prison - he’d been serving a 20 year sentence for stealing a motor-car, reckless driving and ‘cheeking’ the police!? An enjoyable ‘comfort read’.
Bridget Jones’s Diary (Helen Fielding): I re-read this after watching a documentary entitled ‘Being Bridget Jones’ in celebration of the 25th anniversary of Fielding’s first column in the Independent newspaper. If you haven’t read the book, I feel sure you’ll have seen the film… Yes, it’s now somewhat dated and predictable, BUT it is still very, very funny! Her diary entries variously describe her strategies for finding the man of her dreams/dumping the man she used to dream about; her clothes; her ‘career’; her friends and her family (particularly her mother). Invariably, her daily entries would begin with a string of ‘key’ details: eg. “Saturday 22 July: 9st 3 (why? from where?), alcohol units 7 (Saturday), cigarettes 27 (positively restrained considering), number of correct lottery numbers 0)”… “Friday 28 July: 8st 12, circumference of thighs 18inches (honestly, what is the bloody point), alcohol units 3 (but v. pure sort of wine), cigarettes 7 (but did not inhale), calories 1,500 (good, but wrong things), teas 0, coffees 3 (but made with real coffee beans thus less cellulite-inducing)”… Wonderful light relief from all the ongoing pandemic news and all-things-related-to-Brexit.

No comments: