Sunday, March 24, 2019

put it to the people march. london...

I was one of the thousands and thousands who participated in yesterday’s march demanding a People’s Vote. The organisers reckon there were more than a million marchers and various reports have speculated that it might actually have been the largest in the UK… ever – even bigger than the demonstration against the Iraq war in February 2003 (which I also attended).
It was quite an experience. I’ve never seen as many EU flags in my life! People everywhere - happy chanting marchers… applauding and waving spectators. Crowds of demonstrators literally inching their way down Piccadilly at the start of the march (it must have taken an hour and a half to cover the first half mile)... focussed, in very good spirits (and voice), peaceful, passionate and determined.
During the course of the march, I found myself (at various times) walking alongside two wonderful, colourful, talented drumming bands. Despite being a man of natural rhythm (well, in my head!!)(obviously), even I struggled to walk and jig along to the amazing beat - but some people actually DO have such talents! It was a simply wonderful atmosphere… and then, as you do, I came across a group/side of marching Morris dancers!! There’s something rather magical about being part of a large group of happy smiling people (ie. the dancers AND the rest of us). People of all ages; lots of old people like me, lots of enthusiastic young families and lots of ‘young people’ too.
A simply, brilliant memorable day.
I felt conscious that I was also representing lots of other family members and friends who weren’t able to be at the march… they were certainly with me in spirit (and I with them). This felt powerfully tangible and rather humbling.

So, will the politicians listen to us?
My first instinct (maybe I’ve just been buoyed up by yesterday’s events?) is that they simply MUST. However, I fear that the powers-that-be (and who knows who they will be over the coming days/weeks?!) will muddle on and fudge stuff once again.

And as a footnote…
As I travelled home to Bristol Temple Meads on the train last night, I found myself reflecting on the day. It had been a huge demonstration of ‘people power’… really encouraging and perceptibly powerful. It was all incredibly civilised and ‘very British’ I suppose… but it also spoke of the very best of our society and civilisation.
I was very proud to have been part of it.
But as I pondered, I also found myself realising that the marchers had been a somewhat predominantly middle-class group of individuals – and articulate, well-educated and liberal to boot. Yes, I’d be the first to acknowledge that this is a HUGE generalisation (clearly, I have absolutely no idea… it was just a ‘sense’ that I took from the day!) and, yes, I’m well aware that there are lots of passionate Brexiteers who could be described in a similar manner (ok, well maybe not liberal!). But this, in turn, reminded me of various political analyses undertaken after the Referendum and, indeed, after the 2017 General Election… which identified a significant group of disaffected, largely poorly-educated(?) members of our population for whom politics represents an unimportant, meaningless desert in their lives… many clearly feel completely forgotten and ignored by all those ‘in power’ (not just the government) and so, having been duly fed by what I regard as bigoted newspapers, ’certain’ politicians etc, have reacted accordingly when presented with their chance of ‘making a difference’. Yes, as I say, a huge generalisation… I know.
But, after my own brilliant, uplifting day with my fellow marchers, it left me feeling very dejected and sad.
Yes, I’m only too aware that, over the past three years or so (don’t remind of the Thatcher years!), I’ve also frequently felt irritated, hopeless and helpless by the actions and inactions of our politicians. The only difference between the ‘disillusioned’ and me perhaps is that I want to fight for what I believe… f for hope and for the things that are fundamentally important.or hope and for the things that are fundamentally important… and they simply feel ignored and unimportant?
I wish it was all so different.
Photo: random images from the day…

No comments: