Monday, March 11, 2019

bristol metropolitan orchestra at st george’s…

Last night, thanks to the suggestion and generosity of my very good friend Edward Kay, I went along to St George’s to hear/see the Bristol Metropolitan Orchestra perform.
Ed plays the French Horn in the orchestra (but he’s also a highly-acclaimed conductor, composer, teacher and accompanist). Of course, St George’s is a brilliant concert venue – superb acoustics and general ambiance – and it was quite intoxicating to hear a large orchestra in full voice, as it were.
Last night’s programme included Aaron Copland’s ‘Fanfare for the Common Man’; Joan Tower’s ‘Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman’; Benjamin Britten’s Violin Concerto (featuring the excellent Ben Baker as soloist) and finishing with Sibelius’s Symphony no.2 – which I thought was superb.
It was the first time I’d heard the BMO perform (conductor: Michael Cobb) and, I can assure you, they are a bit special! I’ve certainly made a note of their next concert (Saturday 13 July, Clifton Cathedral when they play Ethyl Smyth’s ‘The Wreckers’ and, wonderfully as far as I’m concerned, Mahler’s 5th Symphony).
A really lovely, enjoyable and stimulating evening.

No comments: