Thursday, July 26, 2012

iona photobook


Well, I actually DID get around to producing a photobook at last!
I ended up using Blurb – and have to say that I was very impressed by their stuff (lots of helpful videos etc and everything reasonably straightforward – as they kept stressing: “just get started it’s the best way to learn”… or words to that effect). I would certainly have no hesitation in recommending them to others.
I ordered one hardback and one softback copy and they duly arrived yesterday. I opted for the 10x8” (25x20cm) trim size – so it’s not huge!
Despite having checked things as carefully as possible, I’ve subsequently noticed a couple (and there could be more!) of slight glitches and things that I might have done differently – but hey!
Although the book is available to purchase through Blurb, that certainly wasn’t the point of getting the book produced. It’s really MY own personal – essentially pictorial, but with some accompanying text – reflection of my two-month stay on the island as a volunteer with the Iona Community. It’s a book of photographs of places and things, NOT people (although I do mention various staff members and volunteers I worked with by Christian name – but NOT in a horrible way, I assure you!).
In order to include as many images as possible (within reason), I was very conscious that a) my favourite “short+long” landscape format would have to be compromised for the majority of the photographs, b) some images would be much smaller than I would have ideally wanted and c) in the interests of “design” consistency, some original page layouts had to be abandoned (eg. my “volunteer farewell poster”).
Anyway, I enjoyed the process of producing the book and it will certainly be a lasting reminder of my time with the Community.
Photo: photobook front cover.
PS: I’m not going to highlight the glitches!
PPS: click here if you want to check it out.

No comments: