Monday, May 18, 2009

music+film


If you wanted to come up with a prescription for raising the spirits, I don’t think you could do much better than attendance at a Gasworks Choir concert. Yesterday afternoon, Moira+I went along to watch/hear their concert (lovely friend Gareth had recently joined the choir). It was pretty amazing. Their website describes them as “Bristol’s massive and lovely acappella choir”. They’re about 150 strong (with a 4 year waiting list!), they all dress in orange, red or pink and they make the most wonderful sound. Their enthusiasm and energy is infectious.
By contrast (but still very enjoyable), I went on to see “O’Horten” (Director: Bent Hamer) at the Watershed. This Norwegian film tells the story of a recently retired train engineer who, after 40 years, finds it difficult to adjust to his new-found freedom. The Watershed’s blurb describes it as “humour meets gentle melancholy in the central figure of Odd Horten” (played by Baard Owe). It’s a gentle, rather beautiful, almost surreal film and I’m glad I went to see it.

1 comment:

just Gai said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I certainly appreciated having a couple of friends in the audience to sing to.