Sunday, January 18, 2009

1,000 must-read novels


This weekend’s Observer+Guardian newspapers included the first two supplements (of seven) entitled “1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read”. If one assumes (perhaps somewhat optimistically!) a reading life of say 70 years, this amounts to reading nearly 15 novels a year. Frankly, I’m not going to make my 1,000. Although I can read up to five books on a fortnight’s holiday, my current annual average is about a measly three or four. Moira, on the other hand, is on her fifth book of the year already!
PS: I checked out the newspapers at the Watershed while Moira was buying drinks yesterday and, somewhat bizarrely, came across the “Daily Telegraph Review” which featured “100 Novels Everyone Should Read”. How embarrassing! A spy in the camp perhaps?

No comments: