skip to main |
skip to sidebar
september 2026 books (more!)…
Unto Us
A Son Is Given (Donna Leon): Apparently
(according to my blog), this is the 10th Leon book I’ve read…
ridiculous. She’s definitely not an Agatha Christie, but I do enjoy the way she
writes (well, I like Guido Brunetti and his family!)… and, of course, I just
love feeling I’m back in Venice again.
Put Out
More Flags (Evelyn Waugh): I’ve
always liked Waugh’s books and bought this one on a whim at a second-hand book
store… and then promptly slotted it on to one of our bookshelves and forgot it!
Fortunately, I recently re-discovered it (while looking for another book, as
you do!) and really enjoyed it. It’s set in the opening months of WW2 and is “a
sharp, transitional satire about upper-class English idlers navigating the
absurdities of the early ‘Phoney War’” (as Wikipedia puts it)… and focusing on
social posturing, bureaucratic incompetence, and evacuation schemes. The book
was first published in 1942 (my copy is 1943) at a time when Waugh was a
Captain in the Royal Marines. It’s
both hilarious and shocking. I loved it.
The
Living Mountain (Nan Shepherd):
This is our next Storysmith book selection (I’ve read it twice before, but
never tire of it). Nan
Shepherd (1893-1981) was a rather special woman. She was born and lived almost
all her adult life in the village of West Cults, three miles from Aberdeen and
worked for 41 years as a lecturer in English at what is now Aberdeen College of
Education. She was a keen hill walker and lover of nature. She wrote ‘The
Living Mountain’ (the Cairngorm mountains of Scotland) during the years of WW2,
but the manuscript lay untouched for more than 30 years before it was finally
published (in 1977). I found it breathtakingly beautiful in its quiet
simplicity; it’s not a mountaineering book or a travel guide (and doesn’t
contain a single photograph or illustration), it’s a book that reflects a life
lived within these mountains – the sounds, the senses, the air, the light, the
colours, the plants, the climate… and much much more. It’s a very gentle book
that one needs to take time reading… digesting her words and realising (yet
again) the importance of looking+seeing, listening+hearing, stopping+digesting…
just as Shepherd took her time to fully appreciate the environment in which she
lived. Utterly beautiful.
Where
The Streams Come From (Chris Goan):
I keep coming back to this book by my good friend Chris (first published in
2018) - as part of my daily, early morning, read-out-loud reflections. It
certainly works for me!
Windswept (Annie Worsley): Worsley was an academic: a physical
geographer whose specialism was landform. She and her family had visited the
Highlands of Scotland for many years - especially the more remote parts of
Wester Ross. A decade ago, she and her husband decided to trade in their lives
in the north-west of England, and settle on a couple of old crofts in South
Erradale, to the west of the Torridon mountains. They both enjoyed walking and
climbing, and looked forward to getting better acquainted with this remote area…
but Worsley developed a debilitating autoimmune condition, as a result of Lyme
disease, which hugely limited her ability to explore the landscape - as a
result, she’s been ‘forced’ to focus on the ‘small details’… and this is one of
the delights of her writing. The book (published in 2023) takes us through the
seasons - starting at the autumn equinox - and so I’ve gently been following
its journey over the past 12 months. Worsley is a brilliant writer and her
descriptions are beautifully lyrical in character. It’s an enriching, wonderful
book… and I’m really going to miss my regular meanderings with her (and it was
lovely that finishing the book coincided with my re-reading of Nan Shepherd’s
‘The Living Mountain’… similar writing styles and outlooks and both set in
Scotland).
No comments:
Post a Comment