Friday, January 12, 2024

the boy and the heron…

I went along to the Watershed again yesterday (that’s TWICE in one week!) to see Hayao Miyazaki’s film “The Boy and the Heron” (Miyazaki had apparently retired from making films back in 2013, but hey!...).
I have a passion for Studio Ghibli films, so this was a no-brainer. As you’d expect, the animations were pretty wonderful and the drawn characterisations somewhat ‘familiar in style’ – in keeping with lots of other Studio Ghibli films (which is absolutely fine by me). Like many of Miyazaki’s films, it deals with the classic themes of childhood pain and grief arising from his memories of the second world war.
The film is a something of a complex, mysterious fantasy (understatement!)… recalling the past/coming to terms with the past. The main character, Mahito, is a boy whose mother is killed in 1943 during an air raid. His father ends up marrying his late wife’s sister and, a few years later, takes Mahito to live at his wife’s country estate. To complicate matters, his wife is also pregnant and then disappears mysteriously and Mahito’s quest is to look for her in a parallel universe (I think!)… and, unsurprisingly for Miyazaki fans, this universe is full of strange and wonderful creatures (including a talking heron).
I have to admit that I came away from the Watershed desperately trying to fit all the pieces together… I’ve just read Peter Bradshaw’s review in The Guardian and now feel somewhat better ‘informed’ (those film critics are very clever people!)… he ends up by saying it’s “about confronting a terrible sadness and finding a way to replace it with wonder and joy”.
And I think Peter Bradshaw is right.
If you’re a Studio Ghibli fan, you obviously need to see this! 
PS: The Watershed now sell popcorn... As I'm a grumpy old codger, you won't be surprised that I struggle with the popcorn - not so much the distraction of hearing people eating it (someone sitting immediately behind me yesterday was VERY noisy!), but the smell of the bloomin' stuff!! But, as I say, I'm just a grumpy old codger!!

No comments: