Friday, October 27, 2023

gone fishing...

There have been six series of ‘Gone Fishing’ on the telly… and I’ve watched all of them… TWICE (I know!).
In case you haven’t a clue what I’m referring to, the programme features comedians Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse reflecting on life after their shared major heart problems, while on fishing trips to various locations around Britain. It was first shown on BBC Two in 2018 and has been re-commissioned every year since.
Apparently, Series 7 is being expanded to 8 episodes in 2024 (there’s normally six).
I absolutely love the programme – despite the fact that I have no interest in fishing whatsoever (and have never been fishing in my entire life).
What I find so enjoyable about the programme is that it’s about two old geezers (neither of them even approaching my age – Whitehouse is 65 and Mortimer is 64) out by themselves, enjoying beautiful UK locations, having time to relax and reflect on life… and, of course, fish.
The formula is ridiculously simple… they travel to these lovely places, they fish and they put the world to rights sitting on riverbanks. Whitehouse is the fishing guru (Mortimer frequently ignores his advice). Mortimer is responsible for catering and finding overnight accommodation. The programme is just 30 minutes long (the ‘Christmas Specials’ are an hour long)… I love their silly conversations and banter… and it’s made all the better with stunning aerial views (thanks to drone photography) and occasional appropriate background music.
In some ways, it all feels a bit like meeting up with one’s mate for a pint in the pub.
When I think about why I love the programme so much, I think it’s something to do with escapism – taking a ‘time out’ from this ridiculous, angry, selfish world (or at least some of the major players in it) and celebrating the beautiful, good, simple things that really matter. 

No comments: