Friday, March 10, 2023

february-march 2023 books…

The Seven Moons Of Maali Almeida (Shehan Karunatilaka): Right, this is a FIRST. Once I’ve started a book, I ALWAYS finish it… but I’m afraid that, this time (despite the fact that the book only went and won the 2022 Booker Prize, for goodness sake!!), I gave up. The book is set amid the murderous mayhem of the civil war in Sri Lanka, 1990. Maali Ameida, war photographer, has woken up dead and his dismembered body is sinking into a lake and he has no idea how he died. In the afterlife, he has seven moons to try to contact his beloved friends and lead them to a hidden cache of photos that will rock the country. It’s quite a long book and simply broken down into seven sections (one for each moon)… I yearned for short(ish) chapters to help digest what I was reading. It’s an energetic and hugely imaginative satire but, frankly, it was all too much for me (perhaps just beyond me intellectually?) and I gave up after the first moon (84 pages), feeling somewhat confused, bewildered and something of a failure!
Essentials (David Whyte): Alice gave me this book of poetry+words (she thought that if I liked Mary Oliver, then I’d like David Whyte – and how right she was!) and I’ve been slowly working my way through it, reading 2 or 3 poems each morning (out loud… to myself!). I’d not previously come across Whyte’s work, but his voice has really resonated with me. He’s an Anglo-Irish poet and we’re of a similar age (ok, well, he’s 7 years younger!) and, I think, we share a similar philosophy of life. I loved his poetry and his words… and also that the book included brief comments about the context/background of how he came to write each of the pieces. I loved it… and have ordered another book of his (‘Consolation’) to continue the exploration.
Glory (NoViolet Bulawayo): The author, NoViolet Bulawayo (I just LOVE her name!), grew up in Zimbabwe. Apparently, she first attempted to write about Zimbabwe’s November 2017 coup and the fall of Robert Mugabe in nonfiction, but ended up deciding to go down the political satire route – hence this book. Inspired by George Orwell’s Animal Farm, ‘Glory’ is set in the animal kingdom of Jidada. After a 40-year rule, the “Old Horse” is ousted in a coup, along with his much-despised wife, a donkey named Marvellous. At first there is great rejoicing and hope for change under a new ruling horse (the former vice-president turned rival of Old Horse). But hope soon vanishes and into the period of post-coup despair steps a young goat named Destiny, who returns from exile to bear witness to a land where greed, corruption and false prophets are rampant. It took me some time to get properly ‘into’ this book (it’s 400 pages long)(shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2022) but, once I’d done so, I found it incredibly powerful and quite brilliant.
Animal Farm (George Orwell): I first read this book (first published 1945) ages ago - long before I ever blogged ‘reviews’ – but, after reading ‘Glory’, I thought it was time for a re-read. You’re probably well aware of the story: a farm is taken over by its overworked, mistreated animals. With fiery idealism and stirring slogans, they set out to create a paradise of progress, justice, and equality. This wonderful, satirical book (now nearly 80 years old) records the evolution from revolution against tyranny and, in turn, the devastating converse. The book includes the famous words: “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others”. Times might have changed, but the message is still powerfully fresh. Quite brilliant.
The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie (Muriel Spark): This is our latest Storysmith book group book (the theme is a non-English British book!). Published in 1961 and set, initially, in the early 1930s, it recounts the exploits of an unconventional, maverick schoolmistress and her free-thinking ideas at a time when the schoolmistress, Jean Brodie, described herself as being in her “prime”. At first, her mysterious glamour and charm dazzle and seduce her girls (they were a set of six: Sandy, Rose, Mary, Jenny, Monica, and Eunice) – “the crème de la crème” – at an Edinburgh school. “Give me a girl at an impressionable age,” she boasts, “and she is mine for life.” Throughout this time the Headmistress is endeavouring to force Miss Brodie out of the school (because of her unconventional teaching methods and attitudes), but Miss Brodie remains defiant. The set remained together under Miss Brodie during their early teenage years but, gradually, the sense of obsession and obedience begins to fade as the girls mature and, ultimately end in her downfall/betrayal. I can’t quite believe I’ve not read it before now (and only seen snippets of the film)… but I thought it was rather wonderful. Beautifully-written, very funny but also poignant and intriguing. 

No comments: