Sunday, July 14, 2019

bristol metropolitan orchestra plays mahler’s symphony no.5…

Last night, Moira and I went to the rather wonderful Clifton Cathedral to hear/see the Bristol Metropolitan Orchestra perform Gustav Mahler’s Symphony no.5 and extracts from Ethyl Smith’s ‘The Wreckers’.
Mahler’s fifth is probably my very favourite piece of classical music (quite possibly because I associate it with one of my favourite films, Visconti’s ‘Death in Venice’ – which I’ve watched SEVERAL times!), so I was particularly looking forward to the evening. As ever on such occasions, there’s always a fear that the performers won’t do the piece justice and that the evening will prove somewhat disappointing.
Well, I needn’t have worried. The Metropolitan Orchestra was superb!
There’s something rather quite intoxicating to hear a large orchestra in ‘full voice’ and this was the second time I’d heard the BMO perform (conductor: Michael Cobb; leader: Anneka Sutcliffe). The programme notes refer to the working backgrounds to several of its players – including anaesthetists, paediatric nurses, engineers and IT developers. My very good friend Ed (a retired teacher) plays the French Horn.
Their next concert will be at St George’s in Bristol on Saturday 16 November (Elgar’s ‘Cello Concerto’ and Stravinsky’s ‘Firebird Suite’).
A really excellent evening in the company of highly-talented performers.
Photo: Bristol Metropolitan Orchestra at Clifton Cathedral last night.
PS: Mention of 'Death in Venice'  (which starred Dirk Bogarde as Gustav von Aschenbach) brought to mind the postcard and comments I received from Bogarde in response to my letter to him in appreciation of his three volume set of biographies... I've just checked and found it tucked into one of his books, dated 8 October 1990. Blimey, that's getting on for 30 years ago!!

No comments: