Friday, November 02, 2018

karine polwart at st george’s (again)…

I went along to St George’s Bristol last night to hear Karine Polwart perform (alongside her talented guitarist brother Steven and accordionist/percussionist Inge). I think this was the seventh time I’ve been to one of her concerts (although, ridiculously, the last time was 5 years ago) and, as you might imagine, I’m a huge fan!
My goodness, she IS utterly brilliant!
She started her performance by blending two of her beautiful songs together (both making powerful statements about the 45th President of the US): “I Burn But I Am Not Consumed” and “Cover Your Eyes”. I already knew both songs but, nevertheless, they still made me want to stand up and link arms with everyone else at the concert (and in the UK… and in the world!!) and say “These are OUR songs – they speak for us!”.
Listen and weep.
It proved to be another stunning evening – powerful, intelligent, thought-provoking, political, tender, poignant music at its very best. She’s an eloquent poet (and she’s frequently funny too). She’s a person who reminds you that small voices are important. She’s an inspiration.
At this time when so many of us are disenchanted by politics and what’s happening in the world, last night was a wonderful reminder that there ARE decent, inspiring people who demand to be heard.  
May it be so.
PS: It was lovely that quite a few friends were also at the gig (including Catherine, Tracey, Sarah, Judith, Charlie, Richard, Dave and Nick)… all people with impeccable tastes in music, obviously!
Photo: Catherine and I sat in the front row(!) and this is a rather hurried ‘snap’ at the end of the concert (strictly speaking, photography isn’t allowed)(oops, sorry)…

No comments: