skip to main |
skip to sidebar
more july 2026 books...
Electric Shadow (Heidi Williamson): Apologies that my recent books have
included quite a lot of poetry! I’ve been finding it a good way to start the
day (especially sitting on our balcony, early in the morning, enjoying the emerging
sun). I came across this book in the library (I’d never previously read
anything by Williamson) – it was largely compiled during her time at a
residency at the London Science Museum and explores less usual poetry subjects
such as mathematics, chemistry and computer programming(!)… as well as space
travel, electricity and evolution. Interesting, without being compelling.
Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow (Jerome
K Jerome): The
author’s ‘Three Men In A Boat’ (first published in 1886) has long been a favourite
of mine and so, having recently read Jenny Wren’s response to Jerome’s ‘Idle
Thoughts’ book, it seemed only right that I should read the original for
myself! Actually, having been a little disappointed by Wren’s book, I found
this much more to my liking (with more of the typical ‘Three Men’ humour and
tongue-in-cheek remarks… but also some surprising melancholic moments) – apart
some of the horrible, dated, sexist remarks (eg. referring to men as the
“intellectual sex”!). The author writes about all manner of subjects (eg. being
‘hard up’; vanity; weather; shyness etc) and frequently, rather like Ronnie
Corbett’s meandering storytelling on tv, digresses from the subject in hand. An
enjoyable, relaxing read (albeit very dated, of course!) and somewhat
annoying at times!
Land (Maggie O’Farrell): I adore O’Farrell’s writing and, so,
you won’t be surprised to hear that I absolutely LOVED this book. Set in 1865
on a windswept Irish peninsula (just a few years after the Great Hunger), it follows
the life of a cartographer (and his family) mapping the scarred landscape for the
British Ordnance Survey. I COULD write much more, but I think I’ll just leave
this extract from the book’s cover to give a flavour of the novel: it’s “…about
separation and reunion, tragedy and recovery, colonisation and rebellion. It is
a story of buried treasure, overlapping lives, ancient woodland, persistent
ghosts, a particularly loyal dog, and how, when it comes to both land and
history, nothing ever goes away”. I really think you need to read it… it’s
rather wonderful.
Fire Songs (David Harsent): As you might be aware, I’m a great
lover of Harsent’s poetry. There’s something about his way with words that
resonates for me… and I enjoy reading his poems out loud to myself in my early
morning ponderings. That’s not to say that his poems aren’t challenging! This
is how one reviewer described (accurately, in my view) this collection
(published in 2014): “It delivers a stream of feverish, oneiric visions, of
apocalypse brought about through war or environmental catastrophe or the
boundless human capacity for self‑deception and bedevilment; and everywhere
there’s the lick of flame – ‘it will be fire’ is a recurring line”. The poems
aren’t all doom and gloom(!) but, a dozen years on, they still felt incredibly
relevant to the daily turmoil of today’s troubled world.
A Different Kind Of Power (Jacinda
Ardern): You might not
like political memoirs (but I do!). For me, Ardern was an utter breath of fresh
air during her term as New Zealand’s leader (2017-23) and she will no doubt
continue to be an inspirational figure outside politics. Sincere, personable,
intelligent, decent, respectful, and empathetic. The book provides a fascinating
insight into the making of a politician, a mother and a head of state (and,
typically, all done in an understated, honest and informative way). It
underlines many of the challenges and difficulties that come with high
political office (in her case, these included a pandemic, a volcano, floods,
fires and shootings… climate change, child poverty, gun control, LGBTQ+ issues,
international trade deals etc). But such roles take their toll and are almost impossible
to sustain effectively for a prolonged length of time – when people in her
position are not only having to withstand all the political pressures, but also
the type of hate and abuse that get reported about on a daily basis. I was very
sad to see her go. I very much enjoyed this memoir – informative, often quite
funny… but also quite moving (one passage had me in tears)(I know!). What comes
across is Ardern’s humanity and compassion. I read it in the week that Andy
Burnham became the UK’s latest prime minister… it would be good to think that
he might bring some of Ardern’s qualities to that office.
No comments:
Post a Comment