Thursday, January 31, 2013

amour


I missed Michael Haneke’s film “Amour” last year and so gratefully accepted the opportunity to see it at the Watershed last night (their Head of Programme hailed “Amour” as his film of 2012).
I thought it was absolutely wonderful.
It’s a film about love and death and about a couple in their 80s. Their lives are fundamentally changed when the wife (exquisitely played by Emmanuelle Riva) suffers a series of strokes and her husband (played by Jean-Louis Trintignant – a most amazing actor) cares for her.
I cannot commend this film highly enough.
At times, I found it difficult to watch (perhaps this has something to do with me being in my mid-60s!) and yet I was completely captivated.
It has huge dignity; it’s devastatingly painful; sensitive; graceful; beautiful; agonisingly poignant; disturbing… and simply LOVELY. 

No comments: