Sunday, January 02, 2011

new year's day walk


The above photograph was obviously NOT taken from our New Year's day walk (the overflowing candle wax was from a couple of night's ago, but was the closest I'd got as far as New Year images were concerned)! Very unusually for me, I hadn't taken my camera - it was SUCH a grey and overcast day that I thought it would be a waste of time. Moira suggested that we went for a walk at Goblin Combe, Cleeve near Congresbury, North Somerset (I'd never even heard of the place, I'm afraid) - it's a gorge cut into limestone by melting snow and ice from the last ice age. Cleeve Wood also contains a Scheduled Ancient Monument - that is unique, in that it is apparently the only positively identified Iron Age site in Britain that has never been excavated.
Despite the greyness (but it wasn't raining!), it proved to be a really lovely (fairly hilly) walk... and one that we'll no doubt revisit again.

1 comment:

just Gai said...

We went up Rownham Hill to the Suspension Bridge and down through Nightingale Valley - after having fortified ourselves with breakfast/brunch in the Lounge. I do like getting the new year off to an energetic start.