Wednesday, September 08, 2010

summer books


I’m afraid that I frequently use this blog to record stuff – in this case, books I’ve been reading. Yes, pretty pathetic I know! Anyway, these are my latest titles:
The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery): A really beautiful book. Initially, I struggled a little with its profound philosophy, but was ultimately taken by its charm. Sad, funny, thoughtful, uplifting and optimistic book.
Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck): A tiny, powerful book… don’t know why it’s taken me so long to read another Steinbeck (Grapes of Wrath some 40 years ago?!). Bought it in St Davids when rain threatened outdoor activities!
Everyman Poetry (RS Thomas): I’d hardly read any poetry and felt it was high time I did. I found Thomas frequently bleak, brooding and, for me, at times impenetrable – often bitter, but also sometimes with chinks of compassion and hope. Although I often felt out of my depth, I did enjoy his way with language (especially when read aloud). I’ll persevere!
The Olivetti Chronicles (John Peel): I picked this up at “Fopp” for £3 (I think?). It consists of articles he’d written for Radio Times, Guardian, The Independent, Sounds etc etc and, although I did read it from cover to cover, it’s one of those great books for “dipping into”. I like his writing self-effacing style.
A Parrot in the Pepper Tree (Chris Stewart): I loved “Driving Over Lemons” and found this to be equally enjoyable… entertaining, well written and it made me smile (frequently)…. on to the last one in the trilogy in due course... and then the boat one and....

No comments: