Saturday, December 08, 2007

so this is Christmas?


I heard on the radio this morning that, in a recent poll for public theology think tank Theos, 27% of people were unable to identify Bethlehem as Jesus’s birthplace (rising to 36% of people aged between 18+24).
Very sad, but I’m not altogether surprised.
But, if you thought that was somewhat shocking, perhaps you should take a look at this “wonderful” YouTube link: I haven’t a clue who Sherri Shepherd is, but this American “celebrity” recently announced that Jesus pre-dated the Greeks (note: she also thought the earth was flat!).
Photo: from Ruth's "Madonna" lino-cut.

2 comments:

Ian Adams said...

heh Steve I wonder if the really amazing thing is that 73% can identify Jesus's birthplace? I was pleasantly surprised. Another way of looking at it! Pax Ian

bigdaddystevieB said...

Yes, you're probably right Ian... but if you'd asked the same question 50years ago, I'm sure the correct answer would have been given in virtually every case; and what will the response be in 50 years time? I just sense that we're losing our Christian tradition and knowledge-base (does that matter?) and I think that's sad.
hugs