skip to main |
skip to sidebar
august-september 2026 books...
A Century Of Poetry (Rowan Williams): Another early
morning/read out loud book. A hundred poems from a hundred years (Williams was
keen to point out that they’re not intended to be the ‘best’ poems – simply
‘good’ poems which, in his view, “open the door to some fresh, searching and
challenging insights about the life of faith”) and I read them (out loud to
myself) on a daily basis over a 100 days (with Williams’ own reflections
accompany each poem). I’m a great admirer of Williams and, while I found some
of the accompanying notes quite helpful, I also felt (for me, at least), they
were often much more than I needed (eg. two pages of detailed notes/sermon on
each brief, half-page poem) and I ended up trying to focus on the poems
themselves – which, in all honesty – I generally found pretty disappointing.
Perhaps, given my own labouring faith journey, I expected too much? All in all,
not
for me I’m afraid.
Night Swimmers (Roisin Maguire): I came across
this novel by chance. 50-year-old Grace lives alone in a coastal village in
Northern Ireland… filling her days with wild swimming, fishing and quilting.
She’s quite a character – grumpy, irascible and sharp-tongued! A father arrives
for a week, grieving the recent death of his infant daughter, but becomes
trapped there by lockdown… he’s joined there by his 8-year-old son (who is deaf
and with whom he has struggling relationship). A rather beautiful story evolves…
mental health and marital struggles, compassion, community, loneliness and
nature. I really enjoyed it (with one or two reservations)… and particularly
loved the Grace character.
Up Late (Nick Laird): Yet more
read-out-loud-early-morning-poetry. I hadn’t previously come across
Laird, but really enjoyed this collection of his poetry/musings. In particular,
I loved his piece that formed the title sequence ‘Up Late’ – a profound
meditation on a father’s dying, written over the course of his final days.
Incredibly powerful and hugely moving.
Sorolla
And The Paris Years (Ed. Blanca Pons-Sorolla+Maria Lopez Fernandez): My good friend Tony introduced me to
the work of Spanish artist Joaquin Sorolla, 1863-1923 (after I’d posted a note
about the British artist Harry Watson on FB). Very embarrassingly, I have to
admit that I knew virtually nothing of his work (I know!) – despite the fact
that he was an internationally-acclaimed artist who produced some 2,200-3,000
paintings during the course of his career (not to mention more than 20,000
drawings+sketches – including nearly 2,000 oil sketches!!). Thanks to our
neighbour, the Central Library, I’ve now read this illustrated book about his
life and his art (during
his time in Paris) – which, I have to say, I thought was quite wonderful:
confident brushwork and dazzling colour. Sorolla visited Paris for the first
time in 1885 (shortly after turning 22) and he went on to flourish there –
winning prizes and exhibiting in prestigious galleries. A very impressive and
illuminating book on a brilliant artist.
This Is
Happiness (Niall Williams): I
read this on the recommendation of my very good friend Tony - big thanks Tony,
AGAIN! (I’d begun to be somewhat melancholic in my observations about the
world!). It’s a novel that recounts the story of the 17-year-old Noel Crowe
(written from the perspective of now-78-year-old old man) who, after dropping
out of the seminary, finds himself back in Faha, a small Irish parish “where
nothing ever changes, including the rain”. The book is full of wonderful
phrases, observation, humour and sadness – like many from Ireland, Williams
definitely ‘has a way with words’! One reviewer described it thus: “Williams
has the eye of a poet and the raconteur’s knack for finding a tale in the most
unpromising nook of everyday life, as a now-adult Noel, summoning the Faha of
his nostalgic imagination…”. It’s a beautiful, uplifting novel which I enjoyed
immensely – one of those books you just don’t want to end.
No comments:
Post a Comment