skip to main |
skip to sidebar
august 2026 books…
A House In Flanders (Michael Jenkins): I first read this book 32 years ago(!)…
where did the time go/how did that happen? It’s set in the early 1950s (but was
not published until 1992): a 14-year-old English youth is dispatched to France
to live for a long summer with the ‘French side’ of his family. It contains the
following lovely note from the author (who, incidentally, went on to study at
Oxford, become a British diplomat, receive a knighthood and was made a KCMG in
1989): “This book is based on a real period in my boyhood, but the telling of
it owes much to my imagination and any resemblance between the characters and
persons now alive is both accidental and coincidental”! I’d long forgotten much
of the book, but am so pleased to have re-discovered it. I really enjoyed
reading about Jenkins’ coming-of-age experiences in Flanders and thought his
elegant descriptions and portraits of the people he came across were really
rather wonderful. A very pleasurable read.
Scratch City (Philip Gross): I’d not previously read any of Gross’s
poetry, but was really impressed with this collection. As the title implies,
these poems relate to city life (as it happens, he lives in Bristol!)… the
everyday things that you see, but don’t notice perhaps? Gross’s words are
frequently funny, challenging, haunting and unsettling… and I was duly impressed.
I will definitely be seeking out more of his poetry.
The Ferryman And His Wife (Frode
Grytten): I came
across this book purely by chance, read it and really enjoyed it… and now my
bookgroup has chosen it for its monthly book (theme: women in translation). No
pressure then! It’s a tender, poetic, and meditative Norwegian novella. The ageing
ferry driver Nils Vik wakes up knowing it is his final day alive and takes his
boat out onto the fjord one last time. As he sails, deceased passengers - including
his talking dog (I absolutely LOVED their conversations) and figures from his
logbook - board the vessel to prompt reflections on his life… including Nils
quietly waiting for his late
wife, Marta, to join him on the boat. I
thought it was quite, quite beautiful… a lovely treasure of a book.
Night (David Harsent): Yet another book of Harsent poetry…
which, again, I read out loud to myself in my early mornings. There’s something
about the way Harsent uses words that really works for me. The first part of
the book is a sequence about a garden “in which the sureties of daylight become
uncertain: dark, unsettling narratives about what wakes in us when we escape our
day-lit selves to visit a place where the dream-like and the nightmarish are
never far apart”. Powerful and thought-provoking.
The Rossettis (ed Carol Jacobi+James
Finch): I bought this
book (which accompanied the 2023 exhibition at Tate Britain) at the £5
Bookshop. I knew a fair amount about the art and writings of Dante Gabriel
Rossetti (1828-82), but far less about the work produced by Christina (1830-94)
and Elizabeth, born Siddal (1829-62). The book explores the ‘ground-breaking
careers’ of these three influential individuals in a series of new essays and
illustrations surveying their work. A fascinating book of a fascinating time.
No comments:
Post a Comment