Thursday, October 06, 2022

moonage daydream…

Having attended a Ricky Ross concert at St George’s on Tuesday night, it seems a little strange to have ventured to the Watershed the following day to watch a documentary on David Bowie (directed by Brett Morgen)… although music is important for me, it doesn’t usually feature quite so regularly as this!
It’s a rather brilliant documentary film - told through kaleidoscopic, never-seen-before footage, performances and music - exploring the creative, musical, and spiritual journey of one of the most iconic rock stars of all time. Bowie has always been something of an icon – both in terms of his music, his appearance and the wealth of his innovative work (including art, sculpture, dance, acting, writing, thinking and design), but through the film I found myself mesmerised by the utter wealth of his creativity, his ideas and his constant need to ‘move on’ to the next project/persona/challenge. I was familiar with most of it and yet, seeing it put together in a 140 minute documentary felt quite mindblowing.
I was always a lover of Bowie’s music and bought at least three of his CDs (including Blackstar, the last album before his death in 2016). The film reminded me just how much I like his music and I’ve now resolved to find the playlist I created (and played endlessly) when he died.
As Mark Kermode (in his 5-star review) put it: it’s a “truly psychedelic fever dream of a film that captures Bowie as performer, artist and thinker”.
I think you need to see it.

No comments: