Tuesday, May 12, 2020

april-may 2020 books…


The Wilt Alternative (Tom Sharpe): In an effort to take my mind off some of the depressing consequences and realities of the current pandemic, I decided to re-read one of the many Tom Sharpe books I possess (I bought this one in April 1981, 39 years ago!). It’s the continuing sage of Henry Wilt, hen-pecked husband, father of quads and Head of Liberal Studies at the local Tech. As with all of Sharpe’s books, it’s outrageously un-politically correct and completely farcical when it comes to a plot, BUT it’s absolutely hilarious… to say that Sharpe has the ‘gift-of-the-gab’ would something of an understatement. Anyway, it served its purpose… and I frequently found myself laughing out loud (again!).
The Body (Bill Bryson): Bryson is brilliant. I absolutely love his writing. In his book “A Short History of Nearly Everything”, he apparently set off to explore the universe and the science of everything in it. Here, according to the book jacket, “he turns his gaze inwards, to try to understand the extraordinary contraption that is us”. Although married to a nurse and having worked psychiatric hospital in the early 1970s (and despite his ten honorary doctorates!), I’m sure he’d be the first to admit that he is no medical expert… and yet, he has that amazing gift for explaining the most difficult subjects in the clearest possible way (and with humour too!)… As you finish reading the second paragraph of a chapter, for example, you’ll suddenly find him writing: “your body made a million red blood cells since you started reading this”! It’s a substantial work (of almost 400 pages), crammed full of fascinating facts and illuminating stories (frequently highlighting amazing researchers whose names have largely been forgotten). I found the best way of reading this tome was to read a chapter a day (23 chapters, each focussing on different parts of the body or on the immune system, on sleep… and the like). A glorious, compulsive book… and one I’ll continue to dip into over future years.
The Glad Season (Ray Robinson): This is a cricket book from 1956. I thought I’d given away all my cricket books but, clearly, this one slipped through the net. I obviously acquired it at some second-hand bookshop or jumble sale ages ago and never got around to reading it. So, I thought I would read it now as acknowledgement of what SHOULD have been the start of the new cricket season (but coronavirus intervened). It’s a book that focuses on young cricketers. The subject matter is interesting - especially in retrospect, when some of the players went on to become ‘famous’ (and others who didn’t) – BUT it’s really APPALLING in terms of writing style (Robinson was an Australian cricket writer 1905-82)! This is just one example: Talking about Australian batsman Neil Harvey, Robinson writes: “Hastily fixing his pads and gloves Neil hurried in, trailing his bat, little knowing that with him went a silent prayer from his anxious captain. With two balls of this cataclysmic over to survive, Neil said to Miller in his crisp, light voice: ‘What’s going on out here? Let’s get stuck into them, eh?’ He turned his back to the bowler while he scraped a block-mark with his toe…”. I won’t bother continuing… it was all like this! No doubt he had his admirers, but I’m certainly not one of them. Just awful. Simply awful.
The Virgin Suicides (Jeffrey Eigenides): I’ve been meaning to read this novel for some time. I knew the basic story – about five young sisters (13-17 years old) from a Catholic family living in Michigan in the 1970s who all, in the course of just over a year, commit suicide. I’m not giving anything away by telling you this because the book’s very first paragraph informs readers that’s what’s going to happen. Moira tells me that we’ve seen the 1999 film of the book, but I only have a very vague memory of this! It’s a haunting and compelling story which is both disturbing and surprisingly funny at times (in a dark humour sort of way). The girls were under the thumb of their tyrannical, disturbed mother, who never allowed them to have dates and dressed them in ridiculously baggy clothes. Their father, a mild high school maths teacher, was sympathetic but docile. It’s written in the first person plural from the perspective of an anonymous group of teenage boys (who were friends of the sisters, as far as that had been possible) – but recounted many years later when most of them had married and had families. They struggle for an explanation of the girls’ deaths… and continued to struggle over the years. Imaginative, detailed and wonderfully-written.
The Gift (Lewis Hyde): I felt I needed to read this book. Moira’s had it for quite a long time (but, interestingly didn’t finish it). Essentially, it focuses on how the creative spirit transforms the world. Margaret Atwood described it as “a masterpiece” and “classic study of gift-giving and its relationship to art”. It refers to the power of art to take us beyond ourselves… and also a call to use the gifts we have been given. But it also tries to address the issue of how a creative artist might be able to survive in a society dominated by market exchange. Hyde himself is a poet and translator and so perhaps it’s not surprising that he concentrates his thinking on the likes of fellow writers/poets like Walt Whitman and Ezra Pound rather than, say, painters or designers. It’s a highly intelligent book which deals with large philosophical issues and, to be brutally honest, I just don’t think I am clever enough to appreciate it – large swathes simply seemed to pass over my head! Sadly (or perhaps unsurprisingly), I finished the book with a huge sense of relief.

No comments: