Tuesday, September 24, 2019

a letter to my MP about the climate crisis…

Dear Karin Smyth
You’re clearly a conscientious MP who works hard for her constituents and, despite not being a Labour voter, I sincerely thank you for that.
I appreciate it’s a pretty tumultuous (and depressing) time in British politics at present and that, after the Supreme Court’s ruling today, I suspect that things will continue to be both complicated and unpredictable (although I suspect there’ll be a General Election before the end of the year). Sadly, despite the awful mess the present government has created over recent years, The Labour Party has been an incredibly disappointing Opposition party – so many lost opportunities and own goals, so much muddled thinking and lack of leadership – in my view.
I’m an ardent Remainer when it comes to UK politics and am pinning my hopes on there being a second Referendum in due course (and look for the Labour Party to press for this).

However, I think the most crucial subject on the political agenda HAS to be Climate Change.
I don’t know if you attended the strike/rally/march on College Green last Friday? I didn’t see you but, if you did, I thank you for being there… and if you didn’t, why on earth not (it had been arranged a long time in advance)? You are in parliament representing people like me who feel they have very little influence both in this country and across the world. You, as my MP, provide one of the very few outlets I have to make my voice heard… and so it’s VITAL that you do so for me and for all your constituents.
Yes, Rebecca Long-Bailey had some positive things to say in her conference speech this week (Green New deal; targeting 2030 for zero carbon emissions; more charging points for electric cars etc), but it’s relatively easy to make such resolutions and to talk-the-talk (meanwhile, of course, Mr Johnson has been highlighting his own 'new' policies on bio-diversity; protecting wildlife etc).

The trouble is, as far as I’m concerned, that whilst many of these measures are welcomed, the electorate has become sick and tired of politicians (from all parties) simply paying lip service to the environment. No doubt, last week, you saw all the marchers from around the world protesting about the lack of urgency on the Climate Crisis. Millions of young people who frankly don’t trust people in your position.
What a sad, depressing state of affairs.

You will be only too aware of what Great Thunberg said at the UN Climate Summit on Monday:
“You are still not mature enough to tell it like it is. You are failing us. But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal… You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words… The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us I say we will never forgive you. We will not let you get away with this… All you can talk about is money and fairy tale of external economic growth... How dare you! Right here, right now is where we draw the line.”

That’s very tough Karin, I know, but as far as we, your constituents, are concerned YOU are one of the few people who can speak for us… and we’re depending on YOU to do this on our behalf.
Every day.
Never easing off.

I wish you well in your efforts… and thank you.
Yours sincerely
Steve Broadway

PS: Please don’t send me a standard press release from the Shadow Environment Secretary giving me your Party’s position. We need much more than that.

No comments: