Sunday, July 17, 2016

labour pains…

I’m very aware that, ever since the Brexit result, I’ve been moaning (some would say “ranting”!) about most things to do with political in this country.
So, I just wanted to say sorry!
But (and you just KNEW there would be a “but” didn’t you!), before I offer my resignation, I thought I’d give you my thoughts on the Labour Party (note: I’m actually a member of the Green Party).
For what it’s worth, I thought that, under Miliband’s leadership, the Labour Party’s performance in Opposition (especially given what a pig’s ear the Tories were making of things) was simply awful. Indeed, after the 2015 General Election, I felt that the Labour Party would be out of government until AT LEAST 2025.
The Conservative Party (following the farce of the EU Referendum) has already got itself a new Prime Minister but, meanwhile, as far as the rest of the country is concerned (and at a time when it SHOULD be underlining the mess that the government’s got us all into), the Labour Party has been doing its best to demonstrate its incompetence by scoring SO many own goals that it might well end up destroying itself (not even the most the passionate Tory strategist could have dreamed of such a brilliant campaign strategy)…

I like Jeremy Corbyn as a bloke… but I don’t happen to believe that he will be able to win support from the rest of the country to gain victory at the next General Election (to date, in my opinion, his “performance” in parliament as Leader of the Opposition has been poor).
Clearly, there are lots of people who disagree with me.
However, I’m not sure I agree with the current leadership challenges… and strongly suspect that, if there is an election, Corbyn will win again… the Labour Party will remain in tatters and the government will be rubbing their hands once again. 
What would happen to the Labour Party if Corbyn was re-elected party leader? Would a new breakaway party emerge in protest? What would they call it? “Real Labour” (you couldn’t make up these things!)?
Interestingly(?), I listened a constitutional expert on Radio 4’s “Today In Parliament” on Friday evening (you might still be able to catch it on iPlayer: 15/7/16 at 11.30pm) who indicated that a) the Official Opposition is the largest party in the House of Commons that is not in government so, if the Labour Party were to split into two “pieces”, there would then be a Labour Party and a breakaway group of MPs and b) if the breakaway group had most MPs (and more than the SNP’s 56), then it would count as the largest party and become the Official Opposition (the Speaker might ultimately be asked to make a ruling, if it is disputed).
I simply hope (please!) that all the opposition parties get their acts together - so that they provide a PROPER opposition to this government.
Right, that’s it… I’ll try to be quiet from now on (honest... probably).

No comments: