Thursday, April 18, 2013

two gentlemen of verona


For the first time in a long time, I came away from a performance at the wonderful Tobacco Factory Theatre feeling a little disappointed. Maybe it was because it’s not one of Shakespeare’s best plays? Maybe I’d been spoilt by seeing so many RSC productions? Maybe it was my mood on the night?
I really don’t know.
Moira+I think we’ve only seen this play performed once before… in Edinburgh, several years ago – and so, perhaps, the play’s comparative unfamiliarity (to me) was partly to “blame”?
Don’t get me wrong… the acting, the costumes, the design and the music were all good. But, sadly, no aspect of last night’s performance struck me as being outstanding… I was well entertained, but I wasn’t transformed by any theatrical “magic” – as I so often am.
However, it seems that I might be in a minority… The Independent has given the play a 4-star review!

No comments: